By Evelyn Perez-Verdia
I am proud to share that Political Pasión along with http://www.miamidiario.com launched the First Political Workshop for Hispanic Journalists in Florida. The focus was the upcoming 2014 November elections. The event was in Spanish and had the attendance of over 40 Hispanic journalists.
Our first non-partisan workshop explained to journalists how politics and government works in this beautiful country that has embraced us. The focus of our workshops is to be empowered with information to incentivize Hispanics to go out and vote in a responsible and conscious manner.
We hope that this first workshop will be one of many that will contribute to a better understanding of politics and government in the United States by journalists of Hispanic media sources.
Our presenters were:
- Evelyn Pérez Verdia, Founder of Political Pasión
- Carolina López, Spokesperson for the Miami-Dade Elections Office
- Mayra Macias, Spokesperson and South Florida Political Director, The Florida Democratic Party.
- Jaime Florez, Spokesperson and Hispanic Communications Director, The Republican Party of Florida
- Annie Betancourt, Board Member, The League of Women Voters of Florida
- Freddy Avalos, President and Rafael Lopez, Board Member, The Hispanic Vote
- Carolina González, Spokesperson for the American Civil Liberties Union
The workshop took place on Tuesday, September 30th from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the EB Hotel, Orchid room (4299 NW 36th St. Miami Springs, FL 33166).